exordinarily ordinary

A tail of a girl..

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The penniless unemployed

The weather agrees with me. Freezing,cold and grey.

Week 3 into my jobsearch is still not digging up any results. I am getting speculative calls from agencies who has jobs in London and would like to keep me in their books.It's gotten so bad that I feel the onset of a depression.Grr. Me?Depressesd?

Just chatting with another mate who had moved to London from KL. In KL, we were out nearly daily,with mamak sessions,ladies nite,mambo jambo,lepaking,drinking.....and now we both just sit home all day in dreary old england. We sure missed having a life to live for. I am seriously considering moving back to KL..I can't stand the depression anymore and it's getting the hubby down as well. But I promised him that I'd try this out for two years...and two years it shall be.

Ah well.

On sat we went over to the Leeds town hall for a belated chinese new year celebration. Knowing the chinese mentality,I should've suspected that they'd try charging entrance fee..bloody 3 quid! Now, for that,you would expect that it's a properly planned event...they had food and arts and crafts stalls.

The food stalls only sell fried rice,herbal egg,spring roll and prawn crackers

The arts and crafts stall has people selling random items that look like castoffs from their homes..there was a random keychain from Sarawak and a bola takraw.

Buggers charge me 3 pounds?!?!

After that dssapointing stalls, I waited impatiently for the cultural performances to start.With tai chi performance,fan dance and of course the ubquitous lion dance,I was, at last, getting in touch with some chinese roots.I've grown up in a huge family where every chinese new year we would have those noisy chinese lion dancers come over to the house for prosperity..so I know what it is all about.

Then out walk a dozen kwai lous hoo haaing with their gongs,drums and of course the dragons.I don't believe this...kwai lou dragon dance?? Nevermind..we can't judge performers by race right?But this bunch were BAD. BAD BAD BAD. I expect some jumping around and a really loud beat with the lions jumping around with energetically.I remember going deaf with the gongs 100meters away.....this band of gwai lous just walked arounnd nodding the lion heads and softly strumming the drums.What's more, the lion had bits that started to fall apart during the dance.

AAaaarghh! Immitation culture doesn't work! We walked out after the lion dance...effectively wasting the 3 pounds.

I miss home..:(

8 Comments:

Blogger mooiness said...

Hang in there. So long as one of you have a job, it's still ok. *fingers crossed*

You have to just keep on applying no matter how many non-responses you get.

And worse come to worse, two years should fly by. Think of it this way, I've known you for 9 months and think of how fast that went by! :)

2/23/2006 12:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont be depressed woman. i know how it feels when you are away from a place u know as home all yr life. but you will soon get use to yr new home, wit yr new life. dont let the job thing bring u down, maybe God is saving the best for later, who knows right? think of it, you will be back soon for your celebration, and all yr friends will be there together with you.
i cant wait to see you again! and yes, definitely must have a goodess yum cha session at the usual star fux.. ehhe.. don't be sad k.. -Hugs from 'the Gohs'-

2/23/2006 06:33:00 AM  
Blogger Boss Stewie said...

research is never never fun!!!!

2/23/2006 07:19:00 PM  
Blogger sourrain said...

Moo: 9 months??? OMG...so many things had happened eh...

Maggy: I dont want...I want to see the gohs have their first baby and ect....I wanna go home...:(

2/23/2006 07:38:00 PM  
Blogger daydreymer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2/25/2006 04:10:00 AM  
Blogger daydreymer said...

come back.. we need to form a karaoke threesome..

2/25/2006 04:11:00 AM  
Blogger sourrain said...

Dreymee: THREESOME it shall be..our signature song shall be Crazy frog and Corazon de melao

I very paiseh....

2/25/2006 05:58:00 PM  
Blogger daydreymer said...

hahahaha..
you shouldn't feel pai seh. in fact, you should feel proud that we braved ourselves to sing songs like "Crazy frog" and corazon de melao. hey, at least you can tell people you can sing jacky cheung's songs k? be proud!

2/26/2006 04:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home