exordinarily ordinary

A tail of a girl..

Monday, May 08, 2006

The nasi lemak nightmares

When I was over in Manchester Christmas time, I literally bumped into a Penang Village restaurant. Apparently it’s quite good, and were regularly featured in Lonely Planet guides and the such. Seeing that it was around 2.15pm, it was closed until 7pm..but we were not planning to stay that late, so we left, always wanting to return for my nasi lemak and laksa

Last weekend, due to my recurring nightmare of a lonely nasi lemak, we decided to make the journey to Manchester. Seeing that neither Bacon nor me know the city that well, we accidentally parked quite far away, and had to manoeuvre ourselves towards Chinatown via sign posts and instinct. Seeing that it was pouring, my pretty summer outfit of denim jacket, flowey skirt and slippers were soaked…my shoes were so soaked I was literally slipping on it! Juggling my huge bag with a small umbrella, we managed to get to Chinatown at last, soaking, starving and not very happy.

And I went around the block looking for the restaurant. No such luck. Went another round , this time stopping at the bakery for a Chinese egg tart and bolo pau…yum. Again, no luck. And then Bacon spotted it.

Amidst pictures of idyllic Penang, sarong prints and a Minangkabau roof structure was signs of a Szechuan restaurant.

Sigh. My only hope of respite from a steady diet of meat and potatoes have been dashed. The nearest outlet for a taste of Malaysia is now in London, 3.5 hours away. Unless anyone knows any Malaysian restaurants somewhere else?

Spotted the IKAN restaurant in Manchester though…with a name like that, it’s gotta sell ikan pari panggang right? Didn’t even go near it due to unsavoury reports from Louyau that it sells thai food. Yes, like wtf rite?

Looks like the nasi lemak nightmares will be on the rise until July.

4 Comments:

Blogger mooiness said...

When you come across a place that might possibly sell Nasi Lemak, you burn it into your memory. Next time, don't make the same mistake again. :P

5/08/2006 05:34:00 PM  
Blogger daydreymer said...

poor grrl!! i know how you feel.. except that there's this happening nasi lemak just outside my house... 3 mins walk and i'm abstaining from lemak rice until july 2006. lol. don't beat me!

5/09/2006 02:49:00 AM  
Blogger sourrain said...

Moo: dont send me pics of nasi lemaks pls...I'm so hungree now!

drey:
beat you? I WHACK 9 you...Or like bacon has come to know...SIT on you until you pangsai :P

Evil.*sniff*sniff*. You dont know what you're missing until you dont have it anymore.

Is the nasi lemak stall next to that cendol store at the corner turning into your house ar?

I am comming up with a list of food and then you guys can pick who want to teman me eat what ok!

5/09/2006 09:18:00 AM  
Blogger daydreymer said...

hua hua hua... yes that's the one!! it's super good..

ok. give me the list!

5/11/2006 12:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home