exordinarily ordinary

A tail of a girl..

Monday, September 11, 2006

A little prayer, a lit candle

Like every other day, I woke up to my GE radio alarm clock, slamming down hard on the snooze button but not actually suceeding in shutting it up. But somehow it was different. Instead of the usual noisy ruckus that is the Breakfast Show, it was a slow instrumental tune on radio. And in my sleepy state, I thought of how nice it was to be waken up by a slow instrumental tune rather than a loud noisy chatter…and I slumbered away.

And then the DJ came on.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we regret to inform you, the United States of America has been attacked.I repeat, the United States of America has been attacked. An act of war has been commited on this nation"

HUH?

Some sick DJ's idea of a joke? That woke me up. I turned around and flipped on my tv to NBC.FOX network. ABC.All showing footage of two buildings crumbling (I did not know the twin tower exists until they collapsed,so kill me for my ignorance).Like the rest of the nation, I was glued to the screens.My spongebob squareface flatmate came into my room (she had no tv) and being the el geeko she is, told me that she heard at 6am (California being 3 hours behind New York) on her way to class that school will be cancelled,but she will be going irregardless and I should get ready too.I was glued onto my screens until the very last minute before I headed on to school.

Due to the scare that was going around, we were let out of classes at around noon, classes were cancelled for the rest of the day, together with Disneyland and supermarkets who were closing in fear of further attacks on places where huge amount of people congregrate.

For the next week, there was nothing on TV but the twin towers crumbling down. I cancelled my trip to Chicago on my folks' insistence. Scores of people lined up in the army recruitment centres to sign up, America was going to war.I can honestly say I have not seen displays of patriotism like that - you sign up for 2 years irregardless of whether you go to war.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

It's been 5 years, and what have we achieved?

Do you remember your September 11?

Update: Spike & Skippy's thoughts

2 Comments:

Blogger mooiness said...

It was very surreal indeed on that day. I just got home and dad told me someone flew a plane into the twin towers. Details were sketchy at first and we thought it was a small plane - until they released the footage. And then the second plane hit.

Very moving and sad watching the recap and the tributes last night on TV.

9/11/2006 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger sourrain said...

You always remember what happens on Sept 11 huh.

I use it as my yardstick.It's like a birthday or a new year, every year you reflect on the problems of the world, of the fact that most of the terrorists are still leading life in the free world.Even after 5 years

9/11/2006 12:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home