exordinarily ordinary

A tail of a girl..

Thursday, November 16, 2006

a-shopping we go..

Typical of any housewife wannabe, I enjoy the weekly grocery shopping. And it's not only me, Bacon shares in this bizzare love of relpenishing our fridge. So much so we go grocery shopping all too regularly - I pop into Sainsbury or Morrisons' every couple of days, with an almost weekly trip to ASDA (Walmart) and the occasional visit to Tesco.

A moment of truth: I enjoy grocery shopping full stop. I had my first introduction to larder management when I ran away to Paris/Bruxelles for 3 months…the boulangerie/pattiserie would get a visit from me in the morning and I'd pick up a tomato on the way back as well and sometimes a trip to the fromagerie.The mad rush for the supermarket for bigger items that I cannot carry will start when exbf gets back from work - grocery/supermarkets shuts at 6pm.As I had way too much time on my hands, I get cooking everyday.Lunch AND dinner.

Highlight of the week in Fresno is always packing dreybee and anyone else into my beat up civic and slowly crawl to Albertsons/Food4Less/Foodmart for weekly replenishing and the occasional jaunt into the mexican ghetto for cheapo grocery followed by the hmong ghetto for delicious bowls of pho.Ah.ghetto hopping….good times...

Anyway, I think I've lost the plot of the whole post…ah yes, trip to the grocery store with the bacons:

walking bacon
Strolling along with his basket..lalalala

roll mops!
I love the name…roooool and mop! Like rock and roll…rolled pickled herring.Don't care much for the taste though

pork
The *other* white meat. Something you'll never find in Malaysian supermarket shelves.

smoked fish
I can't cook fish, so I buy smoked.Just like La-La Chong's with a squeeze of lime and pickled raikon.

mens' wipes
Men need their own sort of tissues - the big sort.Cause they have big porus noses

kookies
I love cookies(look at the size of me!) - esp the Smarties ones

xmas tree
Xmas tree tortilla chips to usher in the xmas cheer

choc cake xmas style
*salivate*.Why ang moh desserts are always way nicer (and cuter) than our halo halo/ais kacang?

someone ate my nose
Mommy mommy, someone ate Rudolph's face!

rollie sweets
Stocking up my sweet tooth - I love em' Pink Smarties!

sushi
I *heart* sushi - yes, I'm a discount monger.Nothing will ever beat Zen's sushi though.

5 Comments:

Blogger Skippy-san said...

That's not Sushi......there is no maguro (tuna) or taco (squid). Salmon and Shrimp are only half od the experience........

Best part about going to a Japanese grocery store is going there in the evening, prices are dropping and they have folks yelling to get you to buy the stuff so they don't have to get rid of it. Fully 50% of the place is taken up by fish.

11/16/2006 10:36:00 AM  
Blogger sourrain said...

Ah skippy, that's the perils of shopping in a gaijin supermarket.I don't really have a choice!To tell the truth,the sushi I make myself were miles better than the one I bought- if only I can get sushi-grade fish regularly.

I never knew squid was called taco! Hehe.That has got to be the only sushi I hate..abit too rubbery for me.

There is the 90% off thing in UK as well if I go in late - I get pies for £0.20.Like a family sized pizza like pie.

11/16/2006 11:07:00 AM  
Blogger Kynne said...

You cracked me up on the "kleenex tissue for men" and the "rudolph lost his nose" cake. Hahaha!

But dang, the ang moh desserts look yummilicious! Even tho tad too sweet but wheeeeeeeeeeeee sedap! Too bad cannot dhl or fedex :( Boo hoo hoo!

11/16/2006 01:27:00 PM  
Blogger sourrain said...

I know..why on earth would you need a kleenex for men?Use toilet paper!

Yeha I love their desserts.Absolutely orgasmic.

*drools all over my fat tummy

11/17/2006 08:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want pink smarties please!!!!!!!!!!!

11/19/2006 11:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home