exordinarily ordinary

A tail of a girl..

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

World events condensed into 40hrs.In mandarin

In the latest episode in my wild hunt for a career, I have been offered an interview for a PA position. In the deluded minds of the agency, it was the bottom line that counted - he was prepared to offer me the moolah I wanted. A very curious company organising high-rise events for the uppercrust of society - not in the fashion way,more of politicans and high-flying ceos.

On two condition.

That my mandarin is passable.
wo pu hui jiang hua yee.wo si xiang jiao.hen xe lian.
(I can't speak mandarin. I am a banana.very pitiful)

Well,not exactly.But close enough for me to feel that a part of my life is missing. I have always wanted to be able to speak and write passable madarin.I listen to Jay Chou non-stop at one point in time,which improved my comprehension of mandarin (I translated each and every painful word by seeking out the lyrics in english). With my mother tounge being hokkien/fukkien/taiwanese, I have, at least, a chinese dialect that I am proficient in.With a mish mash of self-taught cantonese, my cantonese has, according to friends, apparently improved immensely in the past 5 years. The most refreshing comment was a friend's mom, who had not seen me in 5 years exclaimed, "Wahlau,your cantonese damn geng now wei".Which I am proud of, but I do wish I am good enough to blog in chinese ala mooiness or YC.

Second condition?I am interested in Politics.
With my last post being completetly ignorant and un-PC, this should show you where I am politically. Skippy is my guru in politics...I don't comment,but I savour his mostly political pieces as an unbiased opinion of a lay man.

All in all, the description of the company intruiged me enough to reluctantly agree to an interview.And the today the agent rang me back. Apparently the ceo was so impressed with my cv (he asked them why the heck would I want to be a PA, but if he was impressed with my cv,I'm probably an ace in drawing flowers and decorations to the truth) ,he is looking into creating a job for me...therefore I will not be interviewing as a potential PA but a potential I-dont-know-what-or even-if-it-might-exist.

I need a crash course in world events.And I need a new suit. The agent warned me to look 'good enough to eat off'

Yeah,thanks to adding on to my stress level. Time to hit Zara,Warehouse & Dorothy Perkins for a 'professional yet sexy look',as suggested by Bacon. With 40 hrs to go,I don't have much time.

ps:anyone want to give me a crash course in world events, pls email me asap @ milimail at gmail dot com!!

8 Comments:

Blogger mooiness said...

World events is easy - BBC or CNN will do. The Mandarin bit? Oh that's gonna be slightly harder. ;)

But but but, maybe it can be more of a cultural liason kinda role where you give ur employers an Asian spin on things, and less of a translator's role?

Whatever it is, gooda ruck!

10/18/2006 01:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe...world event...the world is coming to the end...in chinese..look up for conversion u banana!! kekekeke

10/18/2006 05:10:00 AM  
Blogger sourrain said...

moo: thats the problem,nobody (including the person intervieing me) knows what to do with me or hire me as what.I think he was mildly intruiged by me and might just want me to go in to see how I look like - like a freak show

frankie:we've been friends off and on for 10 yrs - you've GOTTA admit that my canto had improved tremendously

Like as if you know how to read..but I kao tau you,can sing in 3 languages!

10/18/2006 09:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try wikipedia. they have everything. credible or not, i don't know :) i hope u get the job. it sounds interesting. maybe u can 'kai siew' some cute young politicians to me. hahahhahhah

10/18/2006 03:11:00 PM  
Blogger sourrain said...

wouldn't it be funny if he tells me i get the job,but he has yet to decide what it'll be?

I think I'll suck it up even if he pay me to sweep floor.That is if I even get through.I don't think anyone has ever hated a job as much as me

10/18/2006 04:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how excitng - do tell all!!! when is the interview - give me a shout, maybe we can meet for a coffee?

10/18/2006 09:50:00 PM  
Blogger sourrain said...

catcat:Will do! I'm not sure what time will it finish - it starts at 6pm (TODAY!),don't think you want to stay that late to wait for me to finish!

but yeah,let's do a tell-all over the weekend!

10/19/2006 08:55:00 AM  
Blogger Skippy-san said...

I can give you the crash course on world events.....in only one language though. The US is in Iraq. Its never going to leave Iraq. It is in Afghanistan too. Working for a Brit who thinks he does not have enough troops. And that the US made serious mistakes before he arrived.

Meanwhile over in North Korea, a lunatic wants a bomb so he can further deprive his people of a decent life.......and the west is going to let him get one. Because they are too busy attackin Arabs who cannot get it right.

Meanwhile, In China, India, Singapore, Malaysia and other nations they are figuring out ways to make money at the expense of the US.

And in Britian, Tony Blair cannot figure out when he is leaving.

The End.

I don't look like a million dollars, but I'll bet you did! :-)

10/20/2006 12:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home