exordinarily ordinary

A tail of a girl..

Friday, June 23, 2006

Well I guess that puts me in my place.........

I can't quite figure out if I have just been "bitch slapped". I've re-read Sourrain's last post several times and I think I've either been insulted or insulted her. Oh well, if you are going to go around watching what you say......you will never get anything said! Go get on the plane!^-^

The quizzes are rigged by the way.....

ANYWAY........

Unlike those who are young and carefree, some of us have to work hard for "the man". And "the man" was wearing me down today. Today was the invevitable "lessons learned" flail where we put slides together to show the powers that be what we should have done differently if we had just known what we were getting into before we got here.

And people don't understand why US postal clerks "go postal" and gun down and a whole post office full of people...........I had a couple of deserving candidates in my sights today!

The lesson here is too much technology can be a bad thing. This week I've been involved in the technical details of a project that will allow people to work in a "virtual office" distributed between key places in the Pacific. Here in Hawaii I was with people who had cell phones on their waist, next to a crackberryblackberry. As for the video teleconference, well don't get me started!

Do you ever wonder if this rash of instant communication is such a good thing? Now mind you, I'm not anti progress, but I wonder if we are giving senior leadership too much information and so, inviting them to micro manage. Whatever happened to the days of yesteryear, where the fate of entire nations rose or fell, based on the intuition of some young Major...Possibly nursing a hangover while he made the decision? In some cases it seems to me that may be a better alternative.

I'm not anti-technology at all, but it seems to me that too many decisions this days are pushed higher and higher and the decision makers involved have less and less time to understand the issue in play and make a decision. So the decision increasingly rests on who can package it the best.

I often wonder if I could, if I could go back in time and remove one item of technology. If it were me, it would be the video teleconference. I hate them! If one wants a meeting, give me a plane ticket, a nice location and drinks at the bar at the end of the day. That's where the real business gets done anyway. Now with VTC's, there are less and less problems solved on bar napkins. To our detriment I think.

So, what say you? If you could turn back the clock on one item of today's technology, what would it be?

(cross posted to Far East Cynic)

2 Comments:

Blogger sourrain said...

awww..no you've not been bitchslapped..really. I'm still doing the quizzes until now....don't believe everything you see but I'm actually addicted to them!!My lame idea of 'a good time'.

Boredom hits today..can you tell?

I would remove the 'virtual books', the ones that you can read on your PDA.Like WTF's that for..you'll spill your Sex on the Beach on it and electrocute yourself.Anyway I think that never really caught on with the general pseudo-intellectual public.

Now totally irrelevant,but one thing I would really like to remove from history is the bidet.The ones that shoot water off your arss.I don't get that. If you're too lazy to wipe your lazy arss, you deserved to walk around with a smelly arss.Or live in diapers

6/23/2006 11:38:00 AM  
Blogger Skippy-san said...

I always wondered what the bidet was for. When I was on cruise in the Mediterranean we just filled it up with ice and put beer in it!

Plus I was always told it was used for cleaning something other than your a$$. Silly me. However thinking that made drinking beer from it more risque I think......

6/24/2006 11:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home