exordinarily ordinary

A tail of a girl..

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The race for the illusive Nasi Lemak

Camden ahoy

Woke up bright and early on Saturday morning after a drunken night doused with illegal Absinthe/Listerine. Pam being Pam, is still dead asleep at 9.30am, so I hopped up to her living room to put my plastic face on whilst Bacon slowly awakens to the ambulance and fire engines sounds that is of Camden. Heard the toilet flushing, and out came Rico, all hungover from the absinthe but still wide awake because it was just so darn hot.

Being typically Malaysian, we started talking about food…yummy this and yummy that we of course decided to go for Nasi Lemak.Nothing says good morning more than Nasi Lemak. With grumbling stomachs, we realized that the only person who knows where it is (she bought me there last time) was dead asleep…she even left a note not to wake her up believe it or not. Rico started ringing his pals, but they just know that the Malaysian restaurant in SoHo is bad..there are a couple of good ones but they had no idea. Irregardless, we decided to try our luck, and at 11am,hopped on towards Leicester Sq in search for our nasi lemak.

Walking through the labyrinth that is the streets of London's Chinatown, I knew it was in a small foot-traffic only road, but we still couldn’t find it after 15mins. And Chinatown is only small.Rico approached a guy making delivery to ask if he knew any Malaysian restaurant (yes,we think everyone is Malaysian in London).. But being a hongkie, that guy had no idea. Then we came up with an idea of asking this Malaysian girl that works in a bakery whom Rico had met previously when going for his 'bolo bau' (trans: Pineapple buns). She pointed us all the way up the street. So like good little piglets, we went in search of Nasi Lemak with her directions.

5 mins later

Still no sign nor smell! What the heck…we then ended up in a noodle place which wasn't very nice after all, but we were starving!

Sulkily,we headed back to the bakery for bolo baus to take away for later.After a long discussion, we got new directions to the C&C restaurant - the alleyway was next to a Pizza Express and hidden by a delivery van! Shocking. As we were stuffed from the heavy yet undelicious breakfast, all we did was just stare at the menu salivating but could not possibly fit another grain of rice in our bulging stomach. At one point I exclaimed, "Wahlau, roti canai £4….wan to die ar?? 7 times also not that expensive man..eat gold ar?". Then typical of me, I turned and saw the restaurant manager smiling at us and he even asked us what would we like to have. Of course, at the moment of being caught as a cheapo, I just said I've had breakfast, will return later.

Being as kiasu as I am, the next day I woke up early again, and hopped over to leicester sq. Whilst waiting for C&C to open their lemak doors at 11, we headed over for a wander in Soho and met some delicious looking cakes

YUM cake

At 10.55 sharp, I returned to C&C…just so see that their doors are not open yet. Bloody hell. I asked them what time will they open, and they said 12. That won't give us enough time to eat and meet Pammy's mom in Notting Hill for 1.30pm! GRRRRR…another wasted trip with no nasi lemak to show for.

Undeterred, we headed on there again after Notting Hill festival.Third time lucky you said?

DSCN1799
At long last, we meet again...

DSCN1800
Pam's dry pan mee

Kopi ais dua
Kopi ais dua

DSCN1795
I'm with chanel Rico, I'm a penangkia Sam & I'm a hippy Pam

8 Comments:

Blogger mooiness said...

FINALLY. :D

Nice pics of the food and the people btw. :)

Browsing your Flickr (Pro!) account now and I'm seeing more posts coming up soon. So many photos! ;)

9/13/2006 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger sourrain said...

I knowwww...pro is king man...I don't believe I'm so happy with it..geeko.

i *heart* flickr (PRO)....

I know..the nasi lemak adventures continues. I should chronicle it - remember the last time I went to Manchester hunting for nasi lemak and it was closed down??

9/13/2006 03:56:00 PM  
Blogger Skippy-san said...

Nice Boots! (In the post above this one! Can't believe you are wearing heavy boots in September!).

Please educate me, what the hell is the attraction NASI LEMAK? I've never tried it and never had the urge while I was in Singapore (all 14 times!)

Me, I'll take the chili dogs shown in the post about the fesitval any day! Finding the perfect chili dog is real challenge!(especially in Japan)

9/14/2006 01:39:00 PM  
Blogger sourrain said...

Skippy: Nasi Lemak is rice cooked in coconut milk & screwpine leaves; served with curry (optional) ,a thick spicy chutney-like sauce called sambal, fried anchovies,cucumber,boiled/fried egg and roasted peanuts.I can have it morning,noon,night and at 4.30am.

Chilli dog rocks! I still love A&W coney dogs the most..yumm.There's nothing quite like it in this world.Although it's so small I can have 3 at a go washed down with rootbeer

The wellies are due to the super splashy muddy conditions.Don't like the pretty boots too much...it's not dancing shoes I can tell you that.I couldnt walk for two days after that due to my swollen ankles being stuffed in the wellies for too long.

9/14/2006 03:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is C&C in Chinatown down some tight alley? I think they open only when they feel like it. :-) Looks tempting... I'm going to have to look out for cheap tickets to London for my South East Asian cravings.

9/18/2006 08:52:00 PM  
Blogger sourrain said...

lpc: Yes, please do!As much as I bitch about the British not having good SE asian food (vietnamese withstanding) its' miles better than Paris; unless I am up for pho, in that case Paris is the place to go.

The curry mee is not very nice,but the dried pan mee and prawn mee is delish.

9/19/2006 09:03:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

legend has it that there's a new restaurant called 'kiasu' around that part of town. is that true?

they still wont create the true singapore experience, without the worlds noisiest auntie shouting 'YEEESSS? HALLLOOOW?' at you while you order your food, though :)

11/17/2006 06:48:00 AM  
Blogger backStreetGluttons said...

de real nasi lemak is found here, enjoy !

11/24/2006 09:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home