exordinarily ordinary

A tail of a girl..

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Whose fault is it?

I used to work in a company who is always full of expats…with Bacon being one of them once upon a time .Most people who are sent over to work in excompany are around 19 - 35 years of age, not your average high-flying expats with one arm around a petite dark sultry chick with long-hair-till-the-ass the from Carnegies or Beach club.

It was my first exposure to small-town kwai lous (call them farangs,white man, ang moh). And as a huge MNC, lovely excompany stated in their terms and conditions that they are NOT allowed under any circumstances to have any locals in their rooms.WAH, I is malaysian, I is smelly fart.It also states (in not as many words) that socializing with locals are discouraged.I is Malaysian, I is bad influence.

Then the Malaysians. Small-town big-town irregardless, they stare with awe at the blue eyed blonde haired gods and goddesses, and treated them as such. In all the training and induction classes, half the people there are besotted with their trainer - the abovementioned blue hair blonde eyed monster. The monsters never speak to them out of training, due to their own twisted the-locals-eat-tortises mentality (or in dreybee's case - I-eat-cats; or Otto's I-eat-you-for-dinner). When I first started seeing Bacon, I used to basically garner a lot of hate-stares amongst 'his girls' . Imagine, even Bacon had a fan club to his name (this kind of face also can sell??) ! Our relationship was a hot topic amongst excompany's grapevines, with the expats persuading him it’s a holiday romance - tingtong macadongdong perception before Little Britain even made it's name.

Whose fault is it then, the ignorant-from-birth kwai lous or the piss-scared MNCs forewarning them about the heathen locals? Perhaps its' the jakun Malaysian treating them with so much awe and respect. Do you think they will stare at awe at the sun burnt paddy farmers up in Kedah and Perlis who had been feeding us for centuries?

Creative juices are running on dangerously empty.Bear with me.

4 Comments:

Blogger mooiness said...

It's a combination of all 3 factors that you've listed. Ignorance upon ignorance upon ignorance. And then we wonder why bad attitudes and misunderstandings occur.

Anyway, for empty creative juices this post is not bad what? :P

9/20/2006 04:57:00 PM  
Blogger sourrain said...

Hahaha..

It took me nearly 2 hours to draft.Well,on-off.

Sometimes we blame everyone, and at the end of it, we only have ourselves to blame as part of the chemical equation.That is what most of us tend to forget...including me.

(personally I blame her parents:P)

9/21/2006 08:44:00 AM  
Blogger Otto said...

I do take some initiatives to bond with close friends and family (Alex's) here in the UK.

Notably I help new friends with some basic information about Msia. I would usually purchase a stack of postcards before arriving here (or while I am out travelling like a 18 yr old traveller chick ard Asia). I leave a postcard (local Msian scenes) as a thank you note or namecard for friends/family member that I have spent some pleasant time with.

I usually bring some books about Msia and give them out as presents as well. Eg: I gave Alex's parents "Malaysia: A pictorial History 1400 - 2004" by Wendy Khatijah Moore, as a measure to bridge the gap between their English/Scottish roots and my Chinese Malaysian. Thankfully Alex and his family are well seasoned travellers because that helps, doesn't it?

I am not too bothered by the occasional strangers' remarks or casual idiocy. On good days, I make them feel stupid and on bad day, I repay their patronizing ways with my sharp tongue =P

9/21/2006 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger sourrain said...

Sometimes is a choice to be ignorant and quite a few people choose that. Why? Because it gives them the feeling of superiority. And the remains of the colonist mindset are also strong influences in some of the upper crust

But some people are just plain idiot.Let me tell you a story...(see next blog)

9/22/2006 08:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home